Friday 23 September 2016

and

i needed an escape; I went out, went somewhere
anywhere because i needed to leave and
what now?
i walked and walked until i stopped
and sat down with my bum on my heels and looked
until i could feel particles
buzzing in my feet from the cut off circulation but i still looked until
the light of the stars was burned into my eyelids
i closed my eyes and got up off the ground and
stomped the blood back into my feet but when i turned to go back
there she was
illuminated by the streetlight and i
was frozen
captivated by her beauty
and i was standing in the middle of the road like an idiot
but my legs were suddenly wires
not firm wires they were thin and breakable and i was sure i had
collapsed but then i was walking toward her and i gave her a
hand and we were walking
hand in hand
alongside the sleeping cars and empty shop windows
and there was a silence between us but
not really a silence more like a language
only we understood and we were
both barefooted and i felt
my heart
skip a beat
every time i looked at her and
every time she looked at me
i knew
we were both boundlessly happy and
i knew
that we would be okay
by the time time ran out for us

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful poetry and use of language. I was going to complain about the lack of capitalization and punctuation, but I realized that it adds to the speaker's anxiety and stream-of-consciousness speaking. I loved the personification of "sleeping cars" simply because it's a simple image that means a lot; I've never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEOW the description and imagery just played in my head like a movie as I read through your poem. At the part where the narrator looses their circulation, I could not only see this poem playing in my head but also taking the position of the narrator, sitting down where they say and seeing what they saw. It's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your imagery is so good. I created a story in my head I could play see what was going on like a film. I think your descriptions really make it feel real.

    ReplyDelete